Tuesday, January 5, 2010

GOOD MORNING ON THIS BRISK JANUARY DAY

It is a good day for cooking soup,  it is 10 am and still only 30° here in Southern Georgia, I am so ready for summer already, but in the mean time I will survive and I am going to make my Cheesy Potato Soup for dinner today, this is guaranteed to warm you up an to make you feel all warm and cozy on this cold winters day: Enjoy, I know I am going to.


Hearty Cheesy Potato Soup















5 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1½ Tablespoons grated Onion
2½ Cups water
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 Tablespoons of Margarine, I use real butter
1 12-Ounce can evaporated Skim milk, I use 2% milk
1 Cup Grated Cheddar Cheese


Combine potatoes, onion and water, salt and pepper, cook 8 minutes or until taters are tender,


Remove from heat, drain off half the water, Add butter, milk, and cheese, return to heat and cook on low heat, stirring until cheese if melted, pour into soup bowls and serve with Italian bread, crackers or what ever you choose, we like the soak the bread.. Enjoy and hope it suits your taste buds I love it. Also you can use all low fat and low sodium in this.
 
Then for dessert try this wonderful Orange cake with, Cream Cheese/orange frosting.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1 Box of yellow cake mix, instead of using the recommended amount of water replace it with the orange juice from a fresh squeezed orange, I think I used 3  oranges to get the cup and half of juice. Then follow directions on your package.
When cooled use half bag of confectioners sugar, and about 8 oz of cream cheese, milk to get consistency, then top with coconut, oh this so moist and good, makes a good variety of a plain old cake.

5 comments:

Sandra said...

I'm making potato soup tomorrow for supper. Yes, it will be good in this crisp weather.

Jennifer said...

Yum..you are making me want some potato soup:)and cake!!

Barbara said...

Oh it was so good, and hit the spot in this very cold unusual weather. I know yours will be good too Sandra/

Rhonda said...

Ooooh, I love potato soup!!!...and it's so cold here that I'm tempted to start peeling those potatoes right now to make some. lol

Rhonda said...

Okay,I've returned to add my update...I just made your potato soup and served it up. It was so delicious and not one complaint from any of my three boys! I'm definitely making it again. Thanks for sharing.