Friday, July 9, 2010

Favorite Friday Foto

I love my hens, they strut they fly they just are amazing to watch, here are some favorite photos I took recently of them out playing, hope you enjoy them, and down father is a little Fairy Tale.
This is Martha, she is always busy...














This is Esther, she rules the roost, and strikes a pose














These are my twins, Mary and Ruth, almost always together














So that is my family of hens, they are growing daily and eating lots of grain, each one is laying now too, this keeps me happy and in eggs, nothing worse than store bought eggs, nothing like having the real thing.  So here are my ladies, and I hope you have enjoyed seeing our family hens up close
and personal. Every time I see them, I think of the story Henny Penny, the sky is falling the sky
is falling, remember that kids story?  Okay I actually found it online, so just for fun, sit back a read all about Henny Penny.
The Sky Is Falling
Once upon a time there was a tiny, tiny chicken named Chicken Little. One day Chicken Little was scratching in the garden when something fell on her head.

"Oh," cried Chicken Little, "the sky is falling. I must go tell the king."
So Chicken Little ran and ran, and she met Henny Penny.
"Where do you travel so fast, Chicken Little?" asked Henny Penny.
"Ah, Henny Penny," said Chicken Little, "the sky is falling, and I must go and tell the king."
"How do you know that the sky is falling, Chicken Little?" asked Henny Penny.
"I saw it with my eyes, I heard it with my ears, and a bit of it fell on my head," said Chicken Little.
"I will go with you to the king," said Henny Penny.

So they ran along together, and they met Ducky Daddles.
"Where do you travel so fast?" asked Ducky Daddles.
"Ah, Ducky Daddles," said Chicken Little, "the sky is falling, and Henny Penny and I go to tell the king."
"How do you know that the sky is falling, Chicken Little?" asked Ducky Daddles.
"I saw it with my eyes, I heard it with my ears, and a bit of it fell on my head," said Chicken Little.
"I will go with you to the king," said Ducky Daddles.


So they ran along together, and they met Goosey Loosey.
"Where do you travel so fast, Chicken Little?" asked Goosey Loosey.
"Ah, Goosey Loosey," said Chicken Little, "the sky is falling. Henny Penny and Ducky Daddles and I go to tell the king."
"How do you know that the sky is falling, Chicken Little?" asked Goosey Loosey.
"I saw it with my eyes, I heard it with my ears, and a bit of it fell on my head," said Chicken Little.
"I will go with you," said Goosey Loosey.

So they ran along together, and they met Turkey Lurkey.
"Where do you travel so fast, Chicken Little?" asked Turkey Lurkey.
"Ah, Turkey Lurkey," said Chicken Little, "the sky is falling, and Henny Penny and Ducky Daddles and Goosey Loosey and I go to tell the king."
"How do you know that the sky is falling?" asked Turkey Lurkey.
"I saw it with my eyes, I heard it with my ears, and a bit of it fell on my head," said Chicken Little.
"I will go with you to the king," said Turkey Lurkey.


So they ran along together, and they met Foxy Loxy.
"Where do you travel so fast, Chicken Little?" asked Foxy Loxy.
"Ah, Foxy Loxy," said Chicken Little, "the sky is falling, and we go to tell the king."
"Do you know the way to the king's house?" asked Foxy Loxy.
"No," said Chicken Little.
"No," said Henny Penny.
"No," said Ducky Daddles.
"No," said Goosey Loosey.
"No," said Turkey Lurkey.
"Then come with me and I will show you," said Foxy Loxy.


And just as he was about to lead them into his den to eat them...
...the sky fell on him.

"Oh dear," said Chicken Little.
"We're too late," said Henny Penny.
"Poor Foxy Loxy," said Ducky Daddles.
"No sense in going to the king," said Goosey Loosey.
"Nothing to do now but go home," said Turkey Lurkey.
And they did. 
Oh me now tell me did you enjoy our little fantasy time, giggles, have a very
Blessed weekend,  may be one day we will print the boy who called Wolf.
The Gang's all here














Photobucket

20 comments:

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

My Grandmother had hens and I loved them. One of the cutest pictures of me that I have as a child is of me holding one of my Grandmother's hens and smiling from ear to ear. I love the names you have chosen for your girls. So cute!!! I wish I lived where I could have some too. Love 7 blessings from NC!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh Barbara,
This is a wonderful post...If you want me to link it up, I can sure try (I'm brand-new at this too!)
I am so happy that the Lord brought you my way..you are so inspiring.
Hugs and blessings,
Cindy

Flat Creek Farm said...

I always loved that story, and I do to this day! Your hens are lovely. I have a Martha too. I'm slowly but surely naming all 15 pullets... love them to pieces, and the *two* roosters also :) -Tammy

Anonymous said...

We rarely buy eggs in the store. We have a friend with hens. We buy eggs from him.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh Barbara,
I'm SO happy that you were able to link up to I Owe it All to Him...that's wonderful! And I am so happy to meet you.
I love your blog...it is a special place to visit...and I love the poetry too...
May you have a blessed day,
Cindy

Tea said...

your chickens are lovely. :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Cute post, Barbara... Love seeing your chickens. Neat that you name them!!!!! I never knew there were TWIN Chickens.... Wow--that is neat!!!!

Thanks for the story... Have always loved it.

Have a nice weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Jan said...

Lovely to think of you with your hens.... it is just on 50 years since I lived on a farm with hens.
And I remember the story.... it is amazing that such a simple story is known around the word.
Richest blessings
with love, Jan

Karen said...

I enjoyed this post and the pictures...very entertaining!

Sharon said...

Great photos of your girls.
I wish that I did not have to buy those store eggs.
When we know we are going to my mom's we call ahead and she has a friend that sells them and we always get 5-6 dozen.
Have a great weekend.

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Barbara, I'm laughing at your darling girls, all with Bible names and personalities! How fun...work, but still fun! Fresh eggs must be just fabulous!
xo,
Debra

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Oh, what a terrific post!
I love those hens!
Have a good evening!
Leticia

Peggy said...

I have that golden book and still love it. Use to read it to the grands but they have outgrown it. I bet the chickens would love me to read it to them while they pecked my toes. LOL Have a blessed weekend

Amy Kinser said...

Love your chickens. Do you get eggs everyday? We are getting 8-12 a day.

Faye said...

Wonderful chicken pets or pet chickens, Barbara. I love the story. It's one of the first ones I heard as a child. What a cool blog you have.

Cooking Up Faith said...

This brought back memories for me. My grandparents had a chicken pen and my grandpa would walk all of us grandkids down to see the chickens and collect the eggs!
Have a great weekend!
Big Fat Mama

Lisa Ann said...

I LOVE hens & roosters! My Mom's kitchen decor is of roosters. When I visit Lancaster, PA...which is often, I love visiting the farms that let you feed their chickens that are running around...I just love them! I have seen all kinds of hens...some quite fancy too! And you are sooo right, fresh eggs beat store bought any day! Loved your post as always Barbara!

Camille said...

How fun Barbara! What a great post! I love the henny penny story...I remember my Mom telling me it when I was little. :) I think it's fun how chicken owners have their brood named and call them girls...that's great! I would think it would be lovely to just go out and collect the eggs. My girl would think it was wonderful I am sure!

Blessings,
Camille

Nancy said...

I love the photos of your hens, they bring back such happy memories for me. My parents had quite a few chickens, we even had some that looked like they were wearing the fanciest hats, I'm not sure what they are called. Thank you so much for sharing!

The Red Brick Farmhouse said...

I love your hens! BEAUTIFUL! Mine are all the same, Amberlinks, and it's hard to tell them apart! lol

Eventually, I want to get some Wyandotts. They are BEAUTIFUL!

Blessings~
Laura